Instant Pot ZUPPA TOSCANA SOUP:
We love Zuppa Toscana Soup from The Olive Garden but live no where near an Olive Garden restaurant. Now we can have this copy-cat version at home in no time! I served this when my parents were visiting one time and my Dad was surprised that he liked it so much because he’s not a fan of the Olive Garden version, he said it’s too spicy. I used regular sausage rather than the hot because I knew my kids would complain about the spiciness. It’s so good! If you want a little heat, then definitely use the hot sausage.
THINGS YOU WILL NEED:
1 lb. ground sausage (regular or hot)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 med. onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 large (or 6 small) potatoes, scrubbed, halved & sliced
6 1/2 cups chicken broth (we love using Better than Buillon)
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups kale, chopped, make sure to remove tough veins
salt & pepper to taste
Start by chopping the onion and garlic. Or use the easy way out and use pre-minced garlic like I do.
Scrub your potatoes. If you don’t like the peel, go ahead and peel them instead. No big deal.
Now chop them in half and slice like so.
You can go ahead and chop the kale now or do it while the soup cooks. It will be added at the end.
Now that the prep work is done set the Instant Pot to saute. Once the screen reads HOT add 1 Tbsp. of olive oil. Adding the oil AFTER the pot is HOT will make it non stick.
Add the onion and garlic and saute for just a minute or two.
Next add the sausage and cook until brown. When done hit the cancel button to turn off the saute function.
Drain off any fat, if desired.
Next add the potatoes and chicken broth. Close the lid and make sure the vent valve on top is closed. Set to high pressure for 5 minutes. It will take a few minutes for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure and the screen will read “ON” while it does so. Once up to pressure it will start counting down from five.
Once the 10 minutes have been reached, turn the valve to venting to release any pressure that is left. When the pin on top has dropped it is safe to open the lid.
It’s time to add the kale. YUMMY!
Give it a stir.
TIME TO EAT:
Now you just need to add the cream and serve. So wonderful with some fresh, crusty bread.
- 1 lb. ground sausage (regular or hot)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 med. onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large (or 6 small) potatoes, scrubbed, halved & sliced
- 6½ cups chicken broth (we love using Better Than Bouillon)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups kale, chopped, make sure to remove tough veins
- salt & pepper to taste
- Set the Instant Pot to saute.
- Once the screen reads HOT add 1 Tbsp. olive oil and the onion and garlic.
- Saute for a couple minutes.
- Add the sausage and cook until brown and hit cancel to turn off the saute function.
- Drain off any fat, if desired.
- Add the chicken broth and de-glaze the bottom of the pan.
- Add the potatoes.
- Close the lid and make sure vent valve is closed.
- Cook on manual, high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Natural release for 10 minutes.
- Turn valve to venting and release any pressure that is left.
- Once pin has dropped, open the lid.
- Add the kale and stir.
- Add the cream, stir and serve!